THE PRE-OPERATIVE SESSION™
PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY
THREE WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY:
- Laboratory tests and EKG (if they are required) must be done. If you are having testing at a lab other than the one we suggested, you are responsible for having the written results of this testing arrive at our office one full week before surgery (our fax number is 585-271-4786).
- A mammogram done within the past year is required for any female at or over the age of 35 for any type of breast surgery.
- SURGERY WILL NEED TO BE CANCELLED IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE THAT YOU ARE PREGNANT.
- All fees are due, including surgical, facility and anesthesia.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY:
- Do not take any products containing aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication or Vitamin E. Tylenol is acceptable.
- Refrain from all nicotine products, including cigarettes, pipe tobacco, chew or Nicotine patch. Nicotine interferes with healthy circulation and may affect the result of your surgery. It also places you at higher risk of complication when receiving anesthesia.
ONE WEEK BEFORE SURGERY:
- Do not drink alcohol for 1 week before and after surgery.
- Please ensure that all laboratory tests and/or blood work has been completed by this time as ordered by the physician/nurse practitioner. Our fax number is 585-271-4786.
DAY BEFORE SURGERY:
- The Surgery Center will call you after noon to inform you of your arrival time for surgery.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT (This includes water and gum chewing). Surgery may be cancelled if this is not followed. A fasting state is required in order to receive sedation for surgery. The only exception is medication, which we instruct you to take with a sip of water the morning of surgery.
DAY OF SURGERY:
- Go to suite 101 (Lindsay House Surgery Center).
- You may shower and shampoo the morning of surgery. Do not wear makeup, hair sprays or gels, or nail polish. You may leave acrylic nails on.
- Avoid clothing that must be pulled over the head. Please wear loose fitting clothing.
- Do not wear jewelry, including body jewelry or bring valuables to surgery.
- Do not use underarm deodorant.
- If you have your menstrual cycle, please wear a feminine napkin. Do not wear a tampon.
POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR
BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY
COMMON INSTRUCTIONS AFTER SURGERY:
- A responsible adult must provide transportation for you after surgery (public transportation is not permissible). Do not drive for 24 hours after surgery or while you are taking pain medication.
- A responsible adult must stay with you after your surgery and overnight until the morning following the procedure. If you are having several procedures, you may need or prefer assistance for 1-2 days following your procedure.
- Avoid making major decisions or participating in activities that require judgment for 24 hours after surgery.
- You are encouraged to walk around the house on the day of surgery and thereafter. This helps to prevent blood clots from developing in the legs.
- Move/pump your legs frequently while lying down. This also helps in preventing blood clots from developing.
- Wear the support stockings for at least 5 days after surgery or until fully active.
- Use your incentive spirometer 10 every hour while awake for 5 days after surgery or until fully active. This is necessary to prevent post operative pneumonia or atelactasis.
- Resume activities slowly. You may feel tired for the first few days.
- Do not exercise for the first week. After the first week, you may resume low intensity, lower body exercise. You may use your upper body for everyday tasks after surgery (for example – reaching for or putting away dishes); however, refrain from using the upper body muscles in a repetitive or strenuous motion for 3 weeks. No vacuuming, tennis or pectoral exercises for 3 weeks. No jogging for 3 weeks. You may resume all exercise/activity after 3 weeks.
- When you do resume exercise, you should wear a tight, supportive sport bra to minimize bounce and droop of the breasts.
- Drink plenty of fluids (8-10 glasses/day) for the first week to keep well hydrated.
- If you have not urinated after 6 hours of being home from surgery, please contact our office.
- Expect to have some incisional discomfort for the first 24 hours after surgery. Take your pain medication before your pain becomes severe.
- Take all medications as instructed post operatively.
- You may resume most restricted medications after one week from the time of surgery. Ibuprofen may be resumed after 3 days.
- Some bruising and swelling is normal. It is expected to take between 3-6 months to see your final results.
- Avoid direct sunlight to the incision for at least 1 year. Use a sunscreen with zinc oxide with an SPF of 20 or greater to help decrease the visibility of the scar.
BREAST CARE AFTER
BREAST AUGMENTATION SUGERY
- You will have a steri strips (adhesive bandage) in place over your incision. Please keep your dressing clean and dry.
- Initially, you may take a quick shower with your back to the water, keeping your incisions completely dry.
- On post operative Day 3, you may take a full shower. It is okay to get the steri strips wet at this point, but do not remove them. You can gently pat yourself dry with a towel or use a blow dryer (cool setting) to dry the steri strips.
- You may or may not have a bra on when you come out of surgery.
- If you have no bra on when you come out of surgery, you may not wear a bra for a total of 3 weeks postoperatively; this allows the breasts to fall naturally.
- If you have a surgical bra on when you come out of surgery, please where this bra for 3 weeks postoperatively; this provides additional support as the breasts heal. This bra may be removed to be washed during the first three weeks, but otherwise should be worn consistently.
- After surgery, you can apply Dr. Koenig’s Post Breast Enhancement Oil to the breasts in a gentle circular motion, making sure to avoid the incision line for at least 2 weeks. Do this massage daily. This helps to ease pain, increase lymphatic circulation and nourish the skin.
- For patients having dual plane augmentation, you will have a clear plastic adhesive dressing over your breasts following surgery. This dressing will be removed on post-op day 7 when your sutures are removed. Because this dressing is water tight, you may shower without restriction after surgery. You will have a surgical bra on after surgery, which should be worn for 3 weeks post operatively.
- It is not unusual to hear a squeaking sound after augmentation surgery. This is caused by pockets of air around the breast implant. As this air escapes, the sound will resolve.
CALL THE OFFICE IF YOU DEVELOP ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Fever of 101 degrees F or greater.
- Pain not relieved with pain medication.
- Swelling, redness, bleeding, and/or foul drainage from incision area.
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting.
- Any other concerns.
Office Telephone: 585-244-1000
Physician pager number: 585-258-4851
I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT/IT HAS BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME AND I UNDERSTAND ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED.
|Patient Signature: ____________________||Date: ____________________|
|Patient Name (print): ____________________||Date: ____________________|
|Witness Signature: ____________________||Date: ____________________|
My telephone number the morning of surgery is: ____________________
My telephone number the day after surgery is: ________________________