-by board-certified plastic surgeon Ashley N. Amalfi, MD
A woman’s body undergoes numerous changes throughout her life, and the breasts are often significantly affected. Factors such as pregnancy, weight fluctuations, aging, and genetics can lead to sagging or drooping breasts, impacting both physical appearance and self-confidence.
In such cases, a breast lift surgery, also known as mastopexy, emerges as a viable solution to rejuvenate and restore the breasts to a more youthful position. However, what many may not realize is that there are various techniques available within this procedure, each tailored to address specific concerns and achieve optimal results.
What Are The Different Breast Lift Options?
Advancements in surgical techniques and technology continue to refine breast lift procedures. We now have access to innovative methods that aim to minimize scarring and improve recovery time while delivering effective results.
Understanding the different techniques for breast lift surgery is crucial, as it allows individuals to make informed decisions in collaboration with us. Here are some of the primary methods employed by myself when performing a breast lift:
- Auto Augmentation: With auto augmentation, we are using your own tissue to improve your shape, as opposed to a lift and augmentation with the use of an implant. In this technique, I use some of the sagging lower tissue of your breast and put it in a more desirable position in the upper part of the breast, which gives the breasts a better shape. The skin is also tightened in this procedure, and moving the breast tissue creates a more cohesive shape in and around the breast.
- Reverse Auto Augmentation: This technique uses your own tissue and is often combined with breast implant removal. In a reverse auto augmentation, I use some of the hanging tissue from the lower part of the breast to also fill out the upper part of the breast, which was previously filled with a breast implant. This also helps to create roundness to the breast, and a nicer shape after a breast implant is removed.
- Breast Lift with Just Skin: A skin-only breast lift doesn’t move or rearrange the breast tissue at all. In these cases, I am simply tightening the outer skin envelope in an attempt to improve the shape of the breast. It is less invasive, but also has less dramatic results.
- Breast Lift with Reduction: With all breast lift procedures, we can remove a variable amount of your own tissue. In its simplest form, only the skin is removed and then to accommodate the patient’s cup size preference, a significant amount of tissue may be removed as well to improve the shape. This also adjusts the size of the breast to better fit the patient’s body.
- Use of GalaFLEX Surgical Scaffold: GalaFLEX is an “internal bra” designed to support and help reinforce weak tissue. It is made of absorbable suture material, so it will slowly dissolve over time. At the same time, it stimulates the production of your own collagen formation, giving the benefit of long term support of the breast tissue.
Additionally, augmentation with fat grafting or implants can be done in conjunction with a breast lift if more volume is desired.
Which Breast Lift Method Is Right For Me?
Choosing the appropriate technique depends on various factors such as the degree of sagging, breast size, skin elasticity, and the patient’s desired outcome. During the consultation, I assesses these factors and recommend the most suitable approach tailored to the individual’s needs.
Breast lift surgery presents a transformative option for individuals seeking to regain youthful breast contours and boost self-confidence. Understanding the diverse techniques available empowers patients to collaborate effectively with me, ensuring personalized and satisfactory outcomes tailored to their unique needs and goals.
If you are interested in breast lift surgery, contact our office to schedule a personal consultation!